A controversial woolite laundry detergent has caused serious illness in cats, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
A test of the drug showed that the substance, which was made from cotton, can lead to respiratory distress and even death, the CDC said.
The tests were done by veterinarians and were not meant to be used for commercial use, the agency said in a statement.
“We have no doubt that the material has serious risks for human health,” Dr. James H. Kudler, director of the CDC’s Office for Veterinary Medicine, told CNN.
“The results of this test, and others that have shown a similar level of toxicity, should not be used commercially.”
Harsh chemical cleaners and harsh detergences can be extremely toxic for pets, the U.S. Centers for Diseases Control and the National Institutes of Health say.
Cats have been known to suffer skin burns, liver damage and even kidney failure from the chemicals used in these cleaners and detergens, according the American Veterinary Medical Association.
“This is a new, extremely toxic compound that has been used in many products for decades and it has never been tested on animals before,” said Dr. David H. Wysocki, president of the American Animal Hospital Association.
WYSOCKI: This is a very toxic chemical compound, and there are no known effects on humans.
There’s no reason to use it on pets at this point in time.
He said he is concerned that the chemicals will spread throughout the pet trade.
“There are people that are using these chemicals to kill animals, and this is the first time that I’ve heard of someone using it on a pet,” Wysockski said.
He warned that people are not in a position to make educated decisions on whether or not to use these cleaners or detergends.
“If we can’t find any reason to buy these products, there is no reason we can trust them to be safe,” he said.
WYSLOCKI is concerned about the toxicology results of the chemical detergants used in woolite cleaning and detergent products, and that they will have to be tested on humans to determine if they are safe.
Wymocki said the CDC testing process is very different from other tests that have been done on animals.
“What we do with animals in this country is to use them to help us understand what’s going on,” he told CNN’s “New Day.”
“It’s not that we don’t understand that there’s something wrong with our animal, it’s just that we are not willing to do that with humans.”
A study in 2015 found that a company called Woolite had been using the chemical soap in its detergent detergent.
The company denied the claims, and Woolite said that the chemical had been in its laundry for nearly 100 years.
The agency also found that Woolite’s detergent contained traces of lead, arsenic and methyl mercury, among other contaminants.
“Woolite has been voluntarily recalling the product since early April, 2017.
The safety of the product is in our hands,” the company said in an emailed statement to CNN.
Woolite did not immediately respond to CNN’s request for comment.
The Centers for Animal Health and the Environmental Protection Agency said they were working to determine the source of the toxic material.
They did not specify whether the toxic compound had been used by the company.
“Based on our research and other independent tests conducted on other products containing woolite, we have determined that Woolites chemical is a hazardous substance and is known to cause serious and potentially life-threatening health effects in animals,” the agency wrote in a news release.
The release did not say whether Woolite was using a specific ingredient to make its detergant.
“While it is possible that a product containing Woolite could be a result of accidental use, Woolite has not used this ingredient in the manufacture of its detergen,” the statement said.